[Oberon] FPGA - System Crash

Paul Reed paulreed at paddedcell.com
Sat May 12 10:41:40 CEST 2018

Hi Tomas,

>> c. use a HEX editor
> Yes, doing that know, just need to recover System.Tool, plus one
> module, that did not make its way to my backup.

The on-disk data structures help quite a lot here - each file is stored
with a header, with the filename and the sector map.  See Files.Mod.

In the original Project Oberon, since (a) disk failures were more common,
and (b) it was less than trivial to back up the whole filesystem, tools
were built to recover the file data (e.g. DiskCheck and Scavenger) - the
original edition of the book describes these.

In the updated system and book, the tools and their description were
omitted since they were no longer nearly as essential.

HTH
Paul