[Oberon] Automated Build Tool

Aubrey McIntosh aubrey.mcintosh at utexas.edu
Sun Aug 12 06:21:55 CEST 2018

Oberon S3 had a Builder included in the distribution.

Inspired by its existence, I used Coco to make a grammar for project
Gather.  It was identical to the Oberon grammer through the end of the
IMPORT statement.

All files named in the parameter list were added to the internal import,
and as each file was scanned its imports were also added to this internal
import list.  It understood the file name reassignment in the IMPORT
statement.

It output a command: Compiler.Compile file1.mod/s file2.mod/s fileN.mod/s ~

A well known subsystem, e.g. Oberon, could be put early on the
Gather.Gather command line before the applications, and all the supporting
modules would be gathered before the remaining application imports were
gathered.

There were versions for S3 as well as V4, and perhaps Blackbox component
builder.  Later, I played around making many of the procedure calls in the
grammar be methods, so that they could be overridden.  I don't really know
a great need for this, but it was an amusing exercise that I was somewhat
proud of.

My copies are in storage at the moment, but there should be copies in some
user submission archive online.

On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 5:16 PM Skulski, Wojciech <skulski at pas.rochester.edu>
wrote:

> Nemo wrote:
> >Indeed.  I recall that some Modula-2/Oberon distributions
> > (Grosch's mtc, GPM, Mocka, ULM) could check dependencies
> > and recompile as need be. Some come with a tool
> > to generate makefiles.
>
> It would be nice if it became a standard part of the Oberon System. Any
> chances to convince Professor Wirth that this is a common pattern which
> would deserve a new chapter in his classic book? Or perhaps an Appendix.
>
> Just kidding. ;-(

Aubrey McIntosh, Ph.D.
1502 Devon Circle
Austin TX 78723