[Oberon] FW: addition: Oberon V4 for Linux

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Fri Nov 2 17:56:35 CET 2018

Tomas:

  OP2 is Oberon-2. Both V4 and ETH Oberon use this compiler.

Oberon-07 is the original Oberon-1, with some changes to make it even more perfect than the original. Perfection is measured as a number of lines of code for compiler implementation. Smaller numbers are better.

Unfortunately, perfection is impacting practicality, according to the formula (perfection+practicality) = const. If you add to one, you automatically subtract from the other one.

This is illustrated when you compare Linz V4, which is very practical, with the new 2013 Oberon System, which is very perfect.

So I am asking whether 4 megabytes of RAM is sufficient to run the OP2 compiler, after 1 MB is devoted to display?

The 1MB can be somewhat reduced if we accept 4 bit color, or 800*600 display. Then we can have almost all 4 MB to run the compiler.

So how much memory does OP2 truly need?

Wojtek