[Oberon] FPGA - Display3.Mod - porting

Wim Niemann niemannw at xs4all.nl
Wed Nov 7 18:21:08 CET 2018

This is the Bresenham Midpoint algorithm for a circle (1977). One quarter circle is computed, the rest is symmetry.
See for example 'Computer Graphics, principles and practice', Foley, van Dam, Feiner, Hughes (or just Foley and van Dam).

The function F(x, y) = x^2 + y^2 - R^2 is 0 on the circle positive outside and negative inside the circle.
In short, from a given (x, y), evaluate F(x+1, y-1/2) which dictates wether to go East or South-East for the next pixel.

In general, for curves it really pays to observe second-order or even higher-order derivatives to obtain simple difference expressions.

I believe modern vector fonts use scan line algorithms to determine filling. A horizontal scan line is crossed with all straight line sections of the glyph outline. The in-product of the scanline coordinate with the line segment vector indicates left or right side of the line segment. An odd number of crossings means inside the outline.

Wim Niemann