[Oberon] FPGA - OberonV4 Dialogs

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Wed Nov 7 22:31:28 CET 2018

Tomas:

> I wish to concentrate on `Dialogs' for FPGA RISC5 1MB machines. I would
> like to start recoding them to Oberon-7, so far without integration to
> `Texts/TextFrames', just to make them hover above viewers in their own
> bound rectangle, taking the whole event loop until quit. Integration to
> come later.

I suspect that disregarding TextFrames can be difficult because both the original Oberon System and V4 GUI are tightly integrated with TextFrames.

System-3 Gadgets departed from the tiled screen layout in that they can "hover over" the desktop. If you really want to move towards the overlapping frames then System-3 is a better bet. An enormous work was put into System-2 over the years. Trying to implement a very simple version of it may not be the best solution because there are many issues which have to be taken care of. Studying System-3 may be very helpful to realize those.

Wojtek