[Oberon] SYSTEM Modules

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Sun Nov 11 01:28:18 CET 2018

Thanks for the pointer. I'll have a closer look at what they did.

The UNSAFE concept opens up a whole different set of opportunities / can of worms (depending on whether you are a glass half full / half empty sort of person).

An UNSAFE module could allow:

1. Relaxed type-checking
2. Relaxed array bounds-checking
3. Variable parameter lists
etc.

All of which can be very useful for low-level / high-performance realtime code.

The downside of any of these extended 'features' is that are frequently misused. e.g. I have seen cases where somebody has declared every procedure as FORWARD so they don't have to worry about the order of declaration!

Some reasonable restrictions could be established to minimise this risk without impacting their usefulness. E.g. UNSAFE modules cannot import other modules; procedures in UNSAFE modules can only be leaf procedures etc.

Regards,
Chris Burrows

CFB Software
http://www.astrobe.com