[Oberon] SYSTEM Modules

Jörg Straube joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Sun Nov 11 09:05:12 CET 2018

All

If I understand your reasoning correctly, you say: I happen to be a low level programmer and am confronted with the fact I have to write a lot of SYSTEM qualifiers in my code. As I don’t like that, lets modify the language.

Now imagine I happen to be a programmer of a GUI and my code is full of Display qualifiers. I could for sure find a similar procedure as your InitClocks with 30 SYSTEM calls where I use 30 calls to Display procedures in a row.
As I don‘t like that, lets modify the language.

In the first case I would propose IMPORT S:=SYSTEM, for the second programmer I would propose IMPORT D := Display

I like the Oberon idea of fully qualified names. The Modula syntax where you dequalify your names during the IMPORT by a list of procedures opens up a lot of confusion while maintaing different sources, with different dequalifying IMPORT lists.

Just my 2cents
Jörg