[Oberon] Resend, not post ack after 30 min : Risc-5 Instructions statistics

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Fri Feb 15 23:55:27 CET 2019

Register variables can certainly produce significant savings in code size and consequently execution speed. The approach Wirth took in his ARM compiler i.e. restrict the use of register variables to leaf procedures, simplifies the implementation. However, the feature was still the source of a disproportionate number of obscure bugs when we started work on the Astrobe ARM compilers. I recall wondering on many occasions whether it was worth the effort! Now it has been done and works well I believe it was.

For further information refer to Section 22. 'Leaf procedures and Register Variables' of 'An Oberon Compiler for the ARM Processor'. You can download a copy from:

https://www.inf.ethz.ch/personal/wirth/Oberon/Oberon.ARM.Compiler.pdf

Regards,
Chris

Chris Burrows