[Oberon] IMPORT Modules: why does order matter?

Andreas Pirklbauer andreas_pirklbauer at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 3 01:10:54 CET 2019

   > On the other hand, the Experimental Oberon compiler backports Oberon-2
   > features to make porting code from Oberon-2 easier (To be honest, it is still
   > on my TODO list to pick a "random" module from Native Oberon and try how
   > many changes are really required to make it compile in Experimental Oberon).

Now that the main Oberon-2 features are implemented, one could (relatively)
easily create a version of the EO compiler that is *fully* backward compatible
with the “official” Oberon-2 language spec, i.e. such that any legacy Oberon-2
program can be compiled without *any* change. Such a compiler would of course
also have to add back the code that allows modules to be imported in any order.
Most of it is done, but it’s just not a high-priority item..