[Oberon] Assumed issue in the Lola-2 compiler

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Sun Apr 14 17:22:11 CEST 2019

Rochus and Paul:

hardware programming should allow for unsigned bit fields. The unsigned representation is far more fundamental in hardware than signed arithmetic. In FPGAs, all wires and flip flops represent bits. Twos complement or other formats belong to interpretation, while their hardware representation is just bits, all of them being equal.

Rochus' finding illustrates the deficiency of the Oberon Language when applied to a an application area where unsigned numbers are both needed and necessary.

Wojtek