[Oberon] Assumed issue in the Lola-2 compiler

Paul Reed paulreed at paddedcell.com
Sun Apr 14 19:58:49 CEST 2019

Hi R.K.,

> critical statement is "x := x DIV 10H"; if x=-1, then I would assume
> the result of this assignment would be zero, or am I wrong?

Unfortunately, yes.  Since DIV by a constant power of two is implemented
as an arithmetic shift right in all of Prof. Wirth's recent compilers,
it's kind of a given in the Oberon world, sorry!

I think when trying to do what you're doing, however pure it would
ideally like to be, the ugly details of implementation will always rear
their ugly heads to head-butt you sooner or later - you have my
sympathy!

Cheers,
Paul