[Oberon] Assumed issue in the Lola-2 compiler

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Wed Apr 17 00:26:11 CEST 2019

> On 16 Apr 2019, at 10:44 pm, "rochus.keller at bluewin.ch" <rochus.keller at bluewin.ch> wrote:
>
>  What in the Oberon report keeps me from assuming that only the "steady state" requires arithmetic integers but intermediate results could be rational numbers which are then rounded towards zero (as e.g. explicitly required by the C/C++ standard)?

It is what is NOT in the Oberon report that should prevent you from making invalid assumptions. If rounding was involved the type of rounding would also need to be stated. e.g. towards zero, away from zero, banker’s rounding etc. etc. As it is not specified it can be deduced that any notion of involvement of rational numbers in the definition of DIV can be eliminated.