[Oberon] Re (2): A2 Repository

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Wed Jun 5 19:12:26 CEST 2019

From:	Paul Reed <paulreed at paddedcell.com>
Date:	Wed, 5 Jun 2019 16:51:43 +0100
> Even if you manage to configure a system to open .Mod files correctly
> (maybe even with an automagical Oberon-to-ASCII filter), you've got the
> next n systems to configure as well, where n can get boringly large...
> :)

Thanks Paul.

> It's not recent that there are lots of problems opening .Mod files, ...

When I checked a few months back, Firefox in Debian Linux opened
the Mod files on the ETH server directly.  Let's blame the change
on Debian rather than ETH.  =8~))  Really I don't know what happened
and decline to spend more time investigating.

The few
https://svn-dept.inf.ethz.ch/svn/lecturers/a2/trunk/source/*.Mod
I checked this morning are ASCII files.  The configuration tweek of
Firefox worked for all.

The Mod files I put in the wikibook are HTML created via
Oberon.MediaWiki.Mod as illustrated in
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon#Dataflow_of_a_Text . The upload
process might be more automated in the future.  From the viewpoint of
the reader, just click to see, as expected.  Easy-peasy and almost
100% reliable.

HTML is the most universal language at present.  It has attributes.
It has non-text content.  Any browser should open it.  Anything else
has a problem. Oberon Text is a show-stopper for many novices. TXT
lacks attributes. Etc.

Thanks again,                 ... Lyall E.

--
Composed and transmitted by software designed to avoid the
complication and vulnerability of antivirus software.