[Oberon] A2 Repository

Felix Friedrich felix.friedrich at inf.ethz.ch
Wed Jul 3 09:30:57 CEST 2019

Dear Bernhard, all

We are currently investing effort into cleaning up A2 (portability ...)
and making it usable as a system with soft real-time guarantees. You
probably know that Oberon and A2 featured a stop-the-world garbage
collector that became more and more of an issue with larger projects.
After having made various experiments with generational collectors (-->
cardSet...) , we now have a reasonably simple concurrent GC. For
processes that do not allocate memory, we have extremely short stopping
times now.

Such experiments can best be carried out with A2 being run on top of
another OS (such as Linux or Windows). But we will make sure that native
versions are properly supported again. It just takes time because our
resources are very limited. We still teach Oberon in a course called
"System Construction" at ETH and we always use the latest versions of A2
for development and implementation. This implies that we need to finish
this work before October.

Kind regards
Felix

PS: Oberon and Gadgets did not disappear from A2. Only the native build
excludes the respective packages in order to keep the system minimal.