[Oberon] [Oberon ] Active Oberon language - a question regarding scope rules

Treutwein Bernhard Bernhard.Treutwein at Verwaltung.Uni-Muenchen.DE
Thu Nov 21 13:45:53 CET 2019

Hi Andreaas,

maybe that question would better be posted in the forum at http://cas.inf.ethz.ch/projects/a2/boards
to give it some life ...

--
  Bernhard

-----Original Message-----
From: Andreas Pirklbauer <andreas_pirklbauer at yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 20, 2019 8:08 PM
To: Oberon List <oberon at lists.inf.ethz.ch>
Subject: [Oberon] [Oberon ] Active Oberon language - a question regarding scope rules

    > ETH (Active) Oberon Language Report
    >
    > Added by Felix Friedrich about 1 month ago
    >
    > Although it is work in progress, we have decided to publish the current state of the ETH
    > Oberon Language Report together with the tools in the A2/Oberon repository.
    >
    > It can be found here: export:/trunk/LanguageReport/OberonLanguageReport.pdf

The above Active Oberon language reports states on p.12 (“Declaration and Scope Rules”):

    “An item may be directly referenced within its scope only."

QUESTION: Does this mean that Active Oberon implements "shadowing through scope”? I.e. does an intermediate variable (such as the intermediate variable g declared in P below) block access to a global variable with the same name from within a nested scope Q?

[...]