[Oberon] Fwd: 30th anniversary of Oberon

rochus.keller at bluewin.ch rochus.keller at bluewin.ch
Wed Jan 1 23:10:39 CET 2020

Okay, no one seems to care. However, I did a little more research. Surprisingly, there doesn't seem to be any consensus on the date of Oberon's release. The German Wikipedia states 1991, the English Wikipedia 1986, the French and Italian Wikipedia "1986, 1987 et 2007". Wirth on his homepage references two language versions: 1990 and the revised 2007. There is apparently a prior language report from 1988: https://doi.org/10.1002/spe.4380180707. 1986 is only mentioned in the HOPL paper ("the language was fully defined in early 1986"), but the referenced report is the one from 1988. This gives us a whole range of publication years to choose from.

It's easier with Algol (and with a couple of other languages I'm aware of). The language is called Algol 60, which is the year it was published.

Is there a description somewhere what actually changed between the 1988 and 1990 reports?

Best
R.