[Oberon] 30th anniversary of Oberon

Joerg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Thu Jan 2 15:52:33 CET 2020

When I studied at ETHZ during 82-87 we used Modula-2 on Lilith. Just towards the end of my studies (1987) I witnessed a first Ceres computer using a first draft of the Oberon system.
The dissertations explaining the Ceres HW design are dated 1987.
First ideas of Oberon as successor of Modula-2 started late 1985 and first ETH internal implementations of the Oberon system existed in 1987 as a piece of HW without OS is nice but kind of fruitless.

The two publications „The Oberon programming language“ and „The Oberon system“ officially appeared in 1988.
Some refinements appeared in the following years.

br
Jörg