[Oberon] 30th anniversary of Oberon

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 15:53:48 CET 2020

On Fri, 3 Jan 2020 at 15:43, rochus.keller at bluewin.ch
<rochus.keller at bluewin.ch> wrote:

> From your findings I conclude that these languages are not compatible, i.e. source code written in Oberon 87 cannot simply be recompiled with an Oberon 90 compiler; there are different key words, statements, built-in procedures and import/export concepts.

This is my understanding.

And one reason for this, again AIUI, is that Prof Wirth has _removed_
many features, rather than adding more.

I am very curious as to whether it would be possible to construct a
unified superset of the now-large Oberon family of languages.

For instance,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberon_(programming_language)#Implementations_and_variants
... lists 10 variants, and I think there may be more.

I wonder if a single compiler that could compile all of them, perhaps
with some directives, and thus attempt to re-unify the family.