[Oberon] 30th anniversary of Oberon

rochus.keller at bluewin.ch rochus.keller at bluewin.ch
Sun Jan 5 14:20:08 CET 2020

@ Treutwein Bernhard & Joerg Straube

Thanks for your responses.

>> what do you want to do with it?

If nobody else has done or want to do it I would like to add an Oberon group and repository to GitHub with a branch per major version so it is possible to analyse how it evolved, and in my case especially what language version were used. I have my own parser and don't need to generate code.

>> access to early versions is quite difficult at least for versions which were not officially published.

That's a pitty. How do we know which versions were officially published?

I assume there was one in 1988 for the https://doi.org/10.3929/ethz-a-000487176 publication. There were two issues of the Oberon Guide in 1989 (https://doi.org/10.3929/ethz-a-005363230 and https://doi.org/10.3929/ethz-a-000508514) and a 1989 release was mentioned in the HOPL paper. There was likely at least another release in 1990. But these are just assumptions.

Best
R.