[Oberon] Oberon System emulator for Windows

Michael Schierl schierlm at gmx.de
Wed Feb 12 21:01:36 CET 2020

Am 12.02.2020 um 04:29 schrieb Skulski, Wojciech:
> Michael:
>
>   I followed your advice, downloaded SDL for the 32 bit windows, and started your emulator on XP. It works!
>
> The zoom by two is larger than the monitor space, so I had to kill it. I will buy stronger reading glasses...

You might combine the --zoom with a smaller --size (if it is not too
much smaller). 800x600 (so double 1600x1200) should be the bare minimum.

> What is the difference between risc and riscw? I tried both and they are both running the same.

Same as qemu vs. qemuw, perl vs. perlw, java vs. javaw. They use
different subsystem flags in the EXE file header.

- When you launch risc from a console window, it will capture the
  console, so console output will go to that console and the prompt will
  not return while the emulator is running. riscw will, in this
  scenario, not capture the console and the prompt will return
  immediately.

- When you launch risc from the GUI, a new console window will be
  allocated for it; riscw will not have any console window.

As a consequence, any output or errors that is written by riscw (either
the emulator or the SDL subsystem) to the console will be lost. But the
number of console windows on your screen is greatly reduced.

So I'd suggest to use "risc" with initial experiments with command line
options, and when you know what you need and don't need the output any
more, use "riscw" instead.

Unix based systems (like Linux or OSX) don't have this distinction. When
an application is started from a terminal, stdout will go to the
terminal. When it is started from the GUI, stdout will be lost. You can
have the same behaviour by always calling "risc" from a console window
and "riscw" from the GUI.

Regards,

Michael