[Oberon] Oberon System emulator for Windows

Michael Schierl schierlm at gmx.de
Wed Feb 12 21:07:56 CET 2020

Jörg,

Am 12.02.2020 um 07:22 schrieb Jörg:
> I use the emulator on the Mac by Roel P. de Jong. The comfortable thing
> with this emulator is, that the files are directly Mac files. No disk
> image needed.
>
> https://apps.apple.com/us/app/oberon-workstation/id1057155516?ls=1&mt=12

You can have a similar result on Windows with my emulator fork too, if
you use the --hostfs switch. You will need to change the FileDir and
Files modules and (if you want to use System.Directory with the "!"
flag) the List procedure in System module. Then point --hostfs to a
directory and files will be read/written from there. As in Oberon you
can delete files that are still open (and also create files and later
assign a name to them), these files will get temporary names starting
with ~ on Windows (which does not support this behaviour) and will get
deleted when the emulator is started next time. Also, there might still
be some race conditions that cause the emulator to crash when using
hostfs, but it works well enough for me.

A disk image is still needed, but only for loading the inner core from.
An example disk image with a matching directory of precompiled modules
is available attached to one of the older releases on the GitHub page
for my emulator.

Regards,

Michael