[Oberon] Initial value of variables, where specified?

Treutwein Bernhard Bernhard.Treutwein at Verwaltung.Uni-Muenchen.DE
Thu Feb 13 16:43:33 CET 2020

>  Unless my memory fails me, the CDC6000 version of Pascal that I used in the 1970s initialised
>  variables to a specific value which represented 'undefined'. Any attempt to reference such a
> variable resulted in a (hardware?) exception. That was very useful. (Data in the CDC system was
> based on a word length of 60 bits).

Your memory does not fail, I remember that a CDC Cyber 175 in the late 1970s initialized memory was
set to "undefined" in other languages (i.e. Fortran), which resulted in strange errors when porting
from machines which initialized by zeroing memory.
--
  Bernhard