[Oberon] Fwd: IDE with integrated source level debugger and LuaJIT VM running the Oberon System

rochus.keller at bluewin.ch rochus.keller at bluewin.ch
Sat Feb 15 02:59:09 CET 2020

Correction: I posted the wrong link to the Windows binary. Here is the one to the IDE: http://software.rochus-keller.info/OberonIDE_win32.zip
Sorry for inconvenience
R.

----Ursprüngliche Nachricht----
Von : rochus.keller at bluewin.ch
Datum : 15/02/2020 - 01:53 (CET)
An : oberon at lists.inf.ethz.ch
Betreff : IDE with integrated source level debugger and LuaJIT VM running the Oberon System

In case you're interested: I just released an Oberon IDE.  Here are two screenshots: http://software.rochus-keller.info/screenshot_oberon_system_in_debugger.png and http://software.rochus-keller.info/screenshot_oberon_ide_0.5.1.png. You can download a complete Windows binary from here: http://software.rochus-keller.info/OberonViewer_win32.zip.

As you might know I'm interested in re-using LuaJIT (see http://luajit.org/) as a runtime environment for strictly/statically typed languages (and later as a HDL simulation engine). As proof-of-concept I have written a validating Oberon-07 compiler that directly generates LuaJIT bytecode (before that I had already written a transpiler that generates Lua source code). Oberon has proved to be very suitable for this project because it is not a complex language but still powerful enough to demonstrate the feasibility.

As a test for the compiler I have created a version of the Oberon System which runs stand-alone on the LuaJIT VM using a Qt based backend instead of the original Oberon System inner modules. Note that this is a prototype and still work in progress. I developed the IDE for this purpose, but it should also be suitable for other projects (but don't expect all features of a full fledged IDE like MS VisualStudio). The IDE and compiler are implemented in C++ using Qt.

See https://github.com/rochus-keller/Oberon, https://github.com/rochus-keller/LjTools and https://github.com/rochus-keller/OberonSystem for more information.

Best
R.