[Oberon] Module aliases - what is the correct way to handle them

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Sat Feb 15 05:13:12 CET 2020

Hello Andreas,

Several modules in S3 have this or similar.
... test = TRUE  ... IF test THEN Texts.Write( ... END

When done with tests, change to "test = FALSE" and recompile.

Some months back, possibly more than a year ago, Paul Reed mentioned
this alternative to avoid a peril.
IMPORT ... Out ... Out.Write ...

When done with tests, change to
IMPORT ... Out = OutStub ... Out.Write( ...
and recompile.  OutStub has decoy procedures.

>From andreas_pirklbauer at yahoo.com  Fri Feb 14 08:02:11 2020
> 1. First, some history: For decades I was secretely hoping that module
> aliases would one day go way from the language ...

The peril for CONST ... test ... isn't entirely clear to me.  In absence of the
alias would you use CONST ... test?  You have a third method?

Thanks,                                     ... Lyall E.

--
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Medical_Machines
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon