[Oberon] Hennessy.Mod 64kB limit

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Tue Feb 18 17:26:34 CET 2020

Joerg:

  I am not questioning the code. I am questioning the coding practice: avoiding any comments and writing bit masks explicitly in hex.

I have learned how to clearly code bit masks from Cypress EZ-SB Frameworks originally written by Anchor Chips. Translated to Oberon it would look like this:

CONST Bit0 = 1; Bit1 = 2; Bit3 = 4; (* and so on, the same can be written in hex *)

  mno := inst DIV Bit20 MOD Bit4; (*  inst DIV 100000H MOD 10H; *)

So now we at least see which bit is being used without parsing hex in mind. The intent of DIV and MOD can be explained in a comment. All your explanations can be written in a comment. As a minimum, a reference to NW papers could be given, with the paper title and page.

I have written references to NW papers in my SysDef.Mod. I am asking, why I could do in Rochester what has not been done in Zurich, where this whole School of NW supposedly originated?

I do not want to present public speeches on the merits of NW programming. I only want to see it done, in order for the code to become clear rather than confusing.