[Oberon] Static variable overflow (bug?)

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Thu Feb 27 16:05:08 CET 2020

Andreas:

  thank you! I am suggesting to use global CONST because looking at the Oberon code I can see these literals and I do not know which 10000H is due to what? What happens if someone ports the compiler to the open source ARM core which is now available for FPGAs? Which 10000H is due to RISC5 architecture and should be changed to something else when porting? Which 10000H is due to something else and it should stay?

So I am suggesting to take every opportunity to factor out these constants. Just put the declaration at the start of the module and put a comment why it is defined (the particular RISC5 instruction). This will improve the clarity in a big way.

Thank you!
Wojtek