[Oberon] Oberon System 3 aka ETH Oberon

Treutwein Bernhard Bernhard.Treutwein at Verwaltung.Uni-Muenchen.DE
Thu Mar 5 12:31:16 CET 2020

-----Original Message-----
From: peter at easthope.ca <peter at easthope.ca>
Sent: Wednesday, March 4, 2020 5:59 PM
To: oberon at lists.inf.ethz.ch
Subject: Re: [Oberon] Oberon System 3 aka ETH Oberon

Pablo & All,

From:	Pablo Cayuela <pablo.cayuela at gmail.com>
Date:	Wed, 4 Mar 2020 02:45:43 -0300
> I have been trying to check all sources of Oberon System many hardware
> versions and I found that all official or original repositories have gone.
> The last reference to ETHZ repository at ftp://ftp.inf.ethz.ch/pub has
> many folders for Oberon, but all of them contain only a readme.txt ...

Most of the documentation remains available at archive.org. I've revised a few of the links in the wikibook accordingly.  In my view this is a temporary arrangement.  archive.org should not be a permanent source of documentation.

To my understanding the wikibook is a satisfactory location. Copyright is addressed at https://en.m.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon#Licenses and I haven't received a complaint.  In fact, more information in the wikibook will enhance the stature of the ETH rather than diminish it.

Andre Fischer wrote many of the original pages about S3 and wrote
BootManager.   I've tried a message to fischer at inf......ch and
received an automated reply; the address is not longer active.
Apparently Andre is retired.  I want to incorporte his BootManager page as a first step, with attribution of course.

> The only reference alive is that for Native version on Sourceforge.
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/nativeoberon/?source=directory

Sourceforge seems OK for Oberon0.Dsk and similar installer images.

Let's keep the older Oberons viable.  Concerns and opinions welcome.

Regards,                         ... Lyall E.

--
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Medical_Machines
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon