[Oberon] Easter eggs in Oberon

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Tue Apr 14 00:11:07 CEST 2020

Define 'everybody'.

> Just one example: what functions can be applied in a CONST assignment and
> what not...
> Why can you write
> CONST
>   slope = -6;
>   a = ABS(slope);
> but you can t write
> CONST
>   bpp = 4;
>   colors = LSL(1, bpp);

Who says you can't? I can't see anything in the report that would lead anybody to that conclusion.

Just because a particular implementation of an Oberon compiler has that restriction does not mean that it is prohibited in any implementation. The RISC5 Oberon compiler should *not* be assumed to be a 'reference' compiler for the Oberon language. It has a number of restrictions and a number of extensions.

Regards,
Chris