[Oberon] Negative integer literals in Oberon

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Sun Apr 26 22:20:15 CEST 2020

Joerg [joerg.straube at iaeth.ch] wrote:
> as I tried to explain: When you as programmer use the hex notation,
> you most probably have unsigned byte, word, longword .. usage in mind.
> Else why not using the decimal notation in the first place?

Really? Then why do I see all these negative decimal peripheral addresses
in the FPGA Oberon Project?  A while ago I put together the SysDef.Mod
to bring some order into this mess. I had to decipher the hex bit patterns
"by hand" and find the correspondence with the negative decimal numbers
in the documentation. The copy is attached.

It somehow seems to me that the discussion and the actual practice
in the FPGA Oberon Project live in two disjoint spaces. On one hand
you have all these hex constants plus the theories exposed in this thread,
but when you take the actual practice, it looks very different from the theory.

W.