[Oberon] Negative integer literals in Oberon

dave at brownsmeet.com dave at brownsmeet.com
Sat May 2 18:06:39 CEST 2020

While I agree on Oberon 2007+, this is not sufficient for original
Oberon2 systems with SHORTINTs and (signed) BYTES. It's not an issue on
Oberon2007+ because of the freer integer type compatibility rules.

e.g. myshort := 0FFFFH

doesn't work on multi-size oberon2 compilers because 65535 is bigger
than MAX(SHORTINT) which is 32767.

And using MOD to restrict the size doesn't work on such compilers
because the size of the result of an arithmetic operation such as MOD
that has a INTEGER parameters is INTEGER. There is no special case
handling for MOD: the compiler doesn't look at the right hand argument,
see if it is a constant, and work out how many bits that constant would
require.

(It could, but I don't know of any that do, and it's not covered in the
language report, or in system specific documents that I have seen.)

The more we discuss this the more I'm convinced that the compiler needs
to be more sophisticated: rather than hex constants being rapidly
treated as signed integers, they need a distinct intermediate
representation that can be taken through the expression evaluation
handling to the point where we can make a valid decision on whether they
are an acceptable size.

But - this is quite a lot of special case code for compilers that
support multiple sizes of integer.

And actually it is the support of multiple sizes of integer that is the
real can of worms here, hex literal issues are just one issue.

So to put the cat amongst the pigeons again :-), I have seen no better
solution to multiple integer sizes than Wirth and Knudsen's original
Pascal 6000 compiler (circa 1975) and its support for integer subranges.

The BYTE/SHORTINT/INTEGER/LONGINT approach is for me the worst solution,
it has neither the simplicity of a single INTEGER size, nor does it
avoid the complexities of subranges, while at the same time introducing
more special cases and limitations.

Hey ho -- Dave.