[Oberon] Type compatibility in Oberon

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Sun May 3 01:09:54 CEST 2020

The processor designers must be optimistic that their processor is going to be in use for some time to come. Using 64-bits to count time in microseconds allows for an event that lasts more than 35,000 years to be timed ;-)

Having to implement Oberon-90, Oberon-2 or Modula-2 (or some new language of your own design) to properly implement support for multiple-size INTEGERs sounds like overkill to me if this is the only occasion 64-bit INTEGERs are required. An alternative solution would be to handle this within your 'Timer' library module.

Typically if you are using a microsecond timer you are interested in events that last a few seconds or maybe, a few minutes?. Longer events rarely need such a fine resolution. If you just use the lowest 31 bits of the clock you can keep track of time in microseconds up to a limit of just over 4 mins. Internally you can keep track of the number of seconds and microseconds that have passed and reset the clock (assuming you can do that) every time four minutes is exceeded. If you can't reset the clock then you might need to monitor changes in the LSB of the upper 32-bits of the clock instead.

An even simpler solution for you but a bit more work for the end-user would be to limit the time that can be measured after a timer reset to 4 minutes. It would then be the application programmer's responsibility to implement a solution if he wanted to time events longer than that in microseconds.

Regards,
Chris Burrows
CFB Software
https://www.astrobe.com