[Oberon] Realtime Operating Systems

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Sun May 3 04:09:17 CEST 2020

Chris:

  we are using Linux for our embedded applications, motivated by our target audience. In physics circles Linux is God-given. I strongly suspect it was a very bad choice that I yielded to this mindset and adopted Linux.

VMware used to be popular in physics labs and it still is, though it lost to Linux. I heard about a range of Greenhills real time OS's: Integrity and Velosity (see https://www.ghs.com/).

In my previous instruments I used Blackfin CPU from Analog Devices. It ran uCLinux, now discontinued. It also ran µC/OS-II and µC/OS-III by Micrium. Other Analog Devices CPUs ran the Visual DSP operating system.

This is just a partial list which came to my mind, in addition to your examples. Based on this I would say that restricting the software world to "2 main OSes left in the world now: Windows NT and *nix" is a gross oversimplification.

Thanks,
Wojtek