[Oberon] Unlimited Oberon System for any board

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Wed May 6 17:57:39 CEST 2020

Joerg:

I believe that the pandemic can change our thinking a little bit. We should no longer take for granted those various chips and cheap boards costing $5 and offering everything but the certainty of their own presence three months down the road. Investing many months into development of the compiler and system running on a Strawberry, Banana, or another juicy fruit may not be the wisest long term investment in the situation of broken supply chains due to the world wide disruptions.

Investment into the soft cores and FPGA SoC's may be a wise choice because soft cores and SoC frameworks are portable to various platforms. RISC5 fits in a small FPGA, as demonstrated with Pepino. In case the FPGA becomes unavailable, then the system can be ported to another one. It is a better perspective than waiting till a given cheap board recovers from the supply chain collapse.

Thanks,
Wojtek