[Oberon] PO2013 - SD Image Tool

Michael Schierl schierlm at gmx.de
Sat May 16 15:07:58 CEST 2020

Hello,

Am 16.05.2020 um 14:53 schrieb Tomas Kral:
> Excellent, it was already addressed. I was always curious what people
> around NW did back in 2013 to make original image.

Probably crosscompiling and building it on another Oberon system. The
fact that the extensions for .rsc and .smb are different from .Obj and
.Sym makes this easier.

>> I am not sure where your figure of 64MB comes from. The default
>> filesystem offset requires a padding of 256MB (+512 bytes)
>
> Yes, the padding I forgot, but I believe Oberon FS itself is 64MB. The
> one presented PO2013.

The sector bitmap in Kernel.Mod limits the usable space of the
filesystem to 64 MB (You can increase it of course if you need). So, it
is more like a "maximum size". Apart from that, the filesystem itself
can grow into the gigabytes (assuming you have enough RAM for the sector
bitmap).

> But I think the padding is 256K, right?

Nope. It should provide space for a FAT filesystem, to make the SD card
usable for transferring files. And 256 KB would be even small for a FAT
filesystem (that is even smaller than a 360 KB floppy).

Regards,

Michael