[Oberon] HDMI question

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Sun May 17 14:58:24 CEST 2020

D.Emard:

thank you for the useful design information.

> for lower resolution be connected directly to the pins. Choose pins
> which support serdes, true differential pairs and TMDS electrical spec
> if chip has them.

Spartan-6 has all of this. There is an IP which explicitly used these features on Artix-7. I expect some differences in Spartan-6, but probably not much. Back porting from Artix-7 to Spartan-6 should be possible. Porting to your board is probably more work.

https://opencores.org/projects/lcd_to_hdmi_output_ip

> If not even general purpose pins will always work for 640x480,  maybe more if you're lucky

They claim to achieve "1440x900 at less that 60 Hz, maximum 1 gigabit/second/line for Artix7 -1 grade device".

> It's best to add 8 capacitors 220nF in series with each wire
> At moment when cable is plugged, C's will protect the board from
> power AC/DC voltage difference or GND temporarily missing

An interesting suggestion! Are these signals AC-balanced? After reading this I am tempted to insert a redriver.

> weak +5V/100mA from board to monitor is required,
> some monitors will show picture without +5V but some
> will also ignore the signal if 5V is missing. It must be really 5V, not 3.3V.

Very useful, thanks!

> I2C and CEC etc you don't need. Just generate signal with resolution
> that all devices support like 640x480 or 1024x768

Magnus pointed out the I2C level translator PCA9306. I will connect these signals if I have pins. I am now redesigning a board with Spartan-6 LX9 in TQ144 to enable Guy soldering the board by hand if he so desires.. ;-) There are only 102 I/O pins in this package.

Wojtek