[Oberon] PO2013 - Texts

Andreas Pirklbauer andreas_pirklbauer at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 1 11:04:45 CEST 2020

    > Secondly, the code size of Texts and TextFrames grows quite a bit to handle the text
    > elems and with it the variable line height (currently, all lines have a constant height „lsp“).

Making all lines in F.trailer have their own line height L.lsp requires a number of small
changes in TextFrames, but it is not all that difficult to do AND does NOT require
more memory. It can still run perfectly with only 1MB. See EO for one example.

However, adding "text elems" like in Linz Oberon is the biggy here. It does indeed
add a fair amount of complexity to TextFrames and (probably) requires more RAM.

As for compatibility between the various version: I suppose one could merge the
PO 2013 version of TextFrames (or the EO version of that which already has
variable L.lsp) with LinzOberon somehow. I looked into it one day, but then
didn’t pursue it due to RAM concerns.

But to do so, one would have to define (at least) two things) in the format of a text.

1) TextTag  - same or different for PO and Linz Oberon? Cutrently they are different
2) Type - what is the meaning of it? (one could say: 1 = PO, 2 = Elems, etc.

Either way, the format of a generic text file would need to change. But not by much
(I think). It could also be made an extension of a generic Objects.Object.