[Oberon] Type compatibility rules for Pointers

Chris Burrows chris at cfbsoftware.com
Tue Jun 16 03:39:28 CEST 2020

type

> identifier.

> "Same types"

>      Two variables a and b with types Ta and Tb are of the same type if

>      1. Ta and Tb are both denoted by the same type identifier, or

>      2. Ta is declared to equal Tb in a type declaration of the form Ta

> =

>              Tb, or

>      3. a and b appear in the same identifier list in a variable, record

>              field, or formal parameter declaration and are not open

> arrays.

> > I am not sure where I have this from (I can see that it is not

> > actually defined in the Oberon 07 Report), perhaps this is just from

> > experience from other programming languages.

> Looks you are right about Oberon-07. The Oberon-07 report is very vague

> about this.

There has been much debate about this in the past. Not all of the rules are
explicitly spelt out in the Language Report. In the introduction to the
Language Report Wirth says:

". What remains unsaid is mostly left so intentionally, either because it is
derivable from stated rules of the language."

However, that does require the reader to exercise some mental gymnastics in
cases like these. If you prefer a more explicit version, I recommend this
one. I believe it to be correct but would be interested if anybody spots any
flaws:

https://miasap.se/obnc/type-compatibility.html

Regards,

Chris Burrows