[Oberon] Oberon-07 - SYSTEM.MSET

Tomas Kral thomas.kral at email.cz
Thu Jun 25 15:20:06 CEST 2020

Hi,

Just thinking, as part of en exercise, we could enrich pseudo module
SYSTEM.

We have COPY command, we could add a complementing MSET, filling a
memory block with arbitrary word.

Similarly we have memset(), memcpy() on linux, and I have seen lately a
habit in mimicking some ux* commands in Oberon :-)

SYSTEM.MSET (choosing other name not to imply Oberon SET{})

Can it be useful in some low level programming, I know NEW() fills block
with NIL (0), but sometimes we need -1, or even other?

Everything is word aligned and padded by compiler, so MSET could go by
words.

Bad idea?

--
Tomas Kral <thomas.kral at email.cz>