[Oberon] Re (8?): Networking ETH Oberon on QEMU.

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Thu Jul 9 16:40:16 CEST 2020

From:	=?utf-8?Q?J=C3=B6rg?= <joerg.straube at iaeth.ch>
Date:	Thu, 9 Jul 2020 06:53:27 +0200
> Is your host connectivity to the internet wired (eth0) or wireless (wlan0)?

Wireless, wlan0.

eth0 is the socket on the mainboard and has no cable plugged.

> - When wired, is your tap and eth0 in a bridge?

No cable is plugged at eth0.  I haven't intended to define any bridge.

This is the start script and execution thereof.

#!/bin/bash
# Script etho to start ETH Oberon on QEMU with system and working directories
# in a removable flash store.
Sysdev=/dev/KingstonCF
echo Sysdev is $Sysdev.
if test -b $Sysdev
then
  sudo qemu-system-i386 -drive file=$Sysdev,format=raw \
    -netdev tap,id=tap0 \
    -device ne2k_pci,netdev=tap0
    # -nic tap,ipv6-off,model=ne2k_pci
else
  echo $WorkingVolume containing working files not connected.  Aborting.
fi

peter at joule:~$ ./etho
Sysdev is /dev/KingstonCF.
[sudo] password for peter:
W: /etc/qemu-ifup: no bridge for guest interface found

[ETH Oberon 2.3.7 appears.]

> - When wireless, you can‘t use tap you have to use NAT and portforwardings

That pertains to connection to the Internet; correct?

Telnet from Oberon guest to QEMU host works.  Both of these work.

Desktops.OpenDoc telnet://peter@joule/ ~
Desktops.OpenDoc telnet://peter@172.23.8.1/ ~

Also HTTP works!

Desktops.OpenDoc http://google.ca/

Google finds https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberon_(operating_system) .
Can't open the HTTPS of course.

FTP and SSH from the QEMU guest to the QEMU host don't work.  They give the
results reported previously.

I don't understand the significance of the note about bridge from QEMU.
W: /etc/qemu-ifup: no bridge for guest interface found

"W" is warning; correct?  Is a bridge necessary?  If so, why do telnet and
http work without it.

> I forgot to mention: with tap, qemu must run as root.

Yes, the script above has sudo.

> See also here: https://wiki.qemu.org/Documentation/Networking/NAT

The Linux host providing QEMU has shorewall and has served as LAN
router for years.  /etc/shorewall/zones puts tap0 is in the local
zone. The only peculiarity is that interfaces except tap0 are named
Loc<name>.  The "Loc" prefix signifies the loc zone for shorewall.

# joule:/etc/shorewall/interfaces
#ZONE INTERFACE BROADCAST OPTIONS
#net   eth0      detect    optional,dhcp,tcpflags,routefilter,nosmurfs,logmartians
net   wlan0     detect    optional,dhcp,tcpflags,routefilter,nosmurfs,logmartians
loc   Loc+      detect    tcpflags,nosmurfs,routeback
loc   ppp+      detect    tcpflags,nosmurfs,routeback
loc   tap0      detect    tcpflags,nosmurfs,routeback
# This is for the tunnel.
vpn   tun0      -         routeback
#LAST LINE -- ADD YOUR ENTRIES BEFORE THIS ONE -- DO NOT REMOVE

And this for SNAT.

# joule:/etc/shorewall/snat
#ACTION          SOURCE  DEST PROTO    PORT
#
# Rules generated from masq file /etc/shorewall/masq by Shorewall 5.2.3.2 - Mon 18 Nov 2019 07:05:37 PM PST
#
MASQUERADE      172.23.0.0/16   wlan0

The problem with FTP and SSH is more subtle?  Some interclicks in the
QEMU based Oberon don't work if clicked too quickly.  Eg. MM, MM+MR
fails to copy a line if clicked rapidly.  If clicked with a short
pause it works.  I don't understand FTP and SSH well enough; is timing
significant?

Thanks,                                   ... P.

--
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Medical_Machines
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon