[Oberon] Re (2): Module aliases - what is the correct way to handle them

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Mon Jul 13 16:34:23 CEST 2020

From:	Joerg <joerg.straube at iaeth.ch>
Date:	Mon, 13 Jul 2020 15:27:10 +0200
> Although you didn=E2=80=98t ask me, here another method to switch output: Li=
> nzOberon offers the =E2=80=9Eversion elements=E2=80=9C (http://www.ssw.uni-l=
> inz.ac.at/Services/Downloads/#oberon)
> The elems extension to Texts.Mod (needed by version elems) is not ported to P=
> rojectOberon (yet?)

OK, thanks.

Text is straightforward for a student learning computer science or IT
systematically. Subtle for self-instruction.

I don't question that Text is more efficient than HTML or XML or Word
to express a document.  Moving a document represented as Text, from an
Oberon system to a Unix-like or Windows system is more difficult than
moving TXT or HTML or XML.  Converting HTML & etc. to Text is also
non-trivial.  Therefore I have to agree with Bernhard T. that Text has
been a deterrent for some who might pursue Oberon for practical use.

A "devils-advocate" must ask whether more use of HTML and XML rather
than Text might facilitate progress. The XML configuration in A2 is an
example.  Another example: Oberon.Text maintained as plain ASCII
works; color is lost but transport is gained.

Regards,                           ... P.

--
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Medical_Machines
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon