[Oberon] Re (2): Module aliases - what is the correct way to handle them

Joerg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Mon Jul 13 18:42:58 CEST 2020

Compare an Oberon text file to a Word doc file:
It’s more than just a bunch of ASCII chars.

HTML or XML files are basically a bunch of ASCII characters. The whole formatting stuff is written with intermingled commands coded in ASCII like    <H1>Header</H1>
One of the little nasty things of ASCII files is the line ending: every OS defines its own way for a line ending
- Windows and DOS: CR+LF
- Unix: LF
- Oberon and macOS before X: CR)

This is the reason, why moving ASCII files from OS to OS can be cumbersome.

In Oberon text files and Word doc files the line ending and bold font, color and size of a text is coded binary instead of intermingled ASCII command.

Texts.Mod supports converting ASCII -> Text right out of the box, just open the ASCII file. The opposite (storing Text as plain ASCII and losing all fornatting) can be done by writing a (simple) procedure StoreAscii along these lines

  f: = Files.New(name); Files.Set(out, f, 0);
  Texts.OpenReader(in, t, 0); Texts.Read(in, ch);
  WHILE ~in.eot DO
    IF ch = CR THEN (* Oberon line ending *)
      IF windows THEN Files.Write(out, CR) END;
      ch := LF
    END;
    Files.Write(out, ch); Texts.Read(in, ch)
  END;
  Files.Register(f);

br
Jörg