[Oberon] Re (2): Re (5?): Names and numbers of releases.

Jörg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Fri Jul 17 07:39:58 CEST 2020

> Contrasting to the endless bombardment with "new and
> improved" systems from the "world leaders" in computing.  =8~

I feel as if they are two trends in HW development
1) One is exactly taking the fact that we reached a point where the performance of the existing CPUs is actually sufficient for all „normal“ tasks (like browsing, emailing, writing a letter, photo editing). But can we provide this „good enough“ performance with less and less energy. -> this drives the mobile industry to get more out of the battery

2) The other is really to boost the performance of a computer even further to solve more complex mathematical problems faster (make the game flicker free with the highest amount of environmental detail, make a better weather forecast or apply artificial intelligence) There, raw performance is key and the energy needed to provide it is neglected or minor. -> this drives the desktop industry where a power outlet is available

Jörg