[Oberon] Emulators

Jörg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Tue Jul 21 07:46:15 CEST 2020

Wojtek

> What are "containers" for my reference?

As I wrote in the previous mail, emulators are one possible implementation of virtualization. If you look at virtualization, you basically have 3 ingredients: a host system, a guest system, and a layer coordinating the access from the guest system(s) to the real HW of the host.

- If the CPUs of host and guest are not the same, you need an emulator (RISC-5 on Intel)
- If the CPUs of host and guest are the same but the OSes differ you need a hypervisor like VMWare (Linux on Windows)
- If CPU and OS of host and guest are identical you can use containers administered eg by Docker (Linux on Linux)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS-level_virtualization

br
Jörg