[Oberon] Re (2): Links for the Oberon-2 report.

Jörg joerg.straube at iaeth.ch
Tue Jul 28 09:11:06 CEST 2020

Hi Peter

It is common in IT that you can open files only with the program that created it (or understands and converts the format in question)
.doc -> Microsoft Word
.xls -> Microsoft Excel
.ppt -> Microsoft Powerpoint
.txt -> Wordpad or any ASCII editor (as .txt is pure ASCII)
.Mod -> Oberon.Edit (it is NOT pure ASCII, see it rather like .doc)
.Graph, .Lib -> Oberon.Draw

Nobody ever thinks of opening an .xls in Wordpad. Why would you like to open Oberon .Text files in a Wordpad?
First convert .Text to .txt (EditTools.StoreAscii) and then open it in any ASCII editor.

br
Jörg

Am 28.07.20, 07:04 schrieb "oberon-bounces at lists.inf.ethz.ch im Auftrag von peter at easthope.ca" <oberon-bounces at lists.inf.ethz.ch im Auftrag von peter at easthope.ca>:

    Diego,

    From:	"Diego Sardina" <dsar at ...>
    Date:	Mon, 27 Jul 2020 11:11:27 +0200
    > The PDF is wrong.
    > The up to date Oberon-2 Report can be found here (in .Text format):
    >
    > ftp://ftp.ssw.uni-linz.ac.at/pub/Oberon/Oberon2.Report.Text

    Thanks for explaining.  I've expanded Note [1] (now the only note)
    accordingly.

    Two puzzles for J. Doe novice.

    * ETH Oberon has the WTS module.  Neither WTS.Mod nor WTS.Tool gives a
    hint at the derivation of acronym WTS.  ?

    * The HTML compiler page in question is read with a Web browser but an
    Oberon system is almost essential to read an Oberon Text.  (Gedit in
    Linux will open a Text but the warning and binary header will confuse
    a novice.) Fortunately the language report is available as HTML from
    UCSD. If there is no objection I should cast the change list to HTML.

    Thanks again,                               ... Lyall E.

    --
    https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Medical_Machines
    https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon