[Oberon] Oberon text files

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Thu Jul 30 05:15:20 CEST 2020

Hello All,

From:	Paul Reed <paulreed at paddedcell.com>
Date:	Wed, 29 Jul 2020 16:49:13 +0100
pr> Perhaps, as a nice exercise, someone would like to write a (maybe even
pr> bidirectional) Oberon-Text to Markdown-subset converter ...

da> Yet another language?  =8~?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Markdown
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_of_Babel
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yacc

da> In case someone tackles the exercise, some ideas can be pinched here.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon/A2/Oberon.HTML.Mod
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon/A2/Oberon.HTML.Tool
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon/ETH_Oberon/MediaWiki.Mod
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon/A2/Oberon.MediaWiki.Mod

Desktops.OpenDoc converts HTML to Text.  Bidirectionality already.

pr> ... and we can standardise on README.md in future.

da> I'd be satisfied with README.html.  If used in a sensible style, ASCII
da> display of HTML can be read, ignoring markup.  Or render it
da> with Desktops.OpenDoc.  It's easy!  It's fast!  Try it!  You'll like
da> it!  (marketing slogan from the 1960s.)

da> The only practical means to put sources in the wikibook is via
da> automated conversion of Text to MediaWiki markup.  I wrote MediaWiki
da> out of necessity.  If a simpler means were available, I'd be happy to
da> adopt it.

One way to resolve this name squabble is to choose a more distinct name.
OText?  OTxt?  OTx?  ObT?  Plenty of choices out there.

Regards,       ... Devil's Advocate

                   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil's_advocate

--
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Medical_Machines