[Oberon] Flash wear levelling

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Fri Sep 25 17:12:59 CEST 2020

From:	Paul Reed <paulreed at paddedcell.com>
Date:	Fri, 25 Sep 2020 09:13:58 +0100
> I suppose you could have cheap+endurance by using a PDIP package for
> the SPI flash and socket it, replacing it when it wears out, but then
> you have the price of the socket, the through-holes and the larger
> footprint (which really look almost comically huge these days on a
> modern surface-mount-technology design), the decreasing availability
> of such packages, etc.

A 44 pin connector on the board with a CF card is another klunky
possibility.  Smaller than a large pencil eraser.  =8~)  "Old
fashioned" but inexpensive and reliable, and the ATA driver is well
established in ETH Oberon already.

The USB connector on the RiskZero offers too many possibilities there.

> For the System Construction class last year, we used on-board SPI
> flash ...

That's a commercial board?  Made to order?

Do the students solder on it?

Do they keep it at the end of the course?  Used again next year?

Thanks,                           ... L.

--
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Medical_Machines
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon