[Oberon] Re (2): Has V4 got <default font> like in S3's Oberon.Text ?

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Sat Nov 21 17:57:52 CET 2020

On Sat, 21 Nov 2020 at 12:32, eas lab <lab.eas at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you bought a laptop during recent decade/s and into the forseeable future,
> you'd be locked into the M$hit-monopolist.

As Liam says, Linux is an alternative.  My preference happens to be
Debian.  A conservative approach is to get a spare HDD which fits the
laptop drive bay.  You can also get an external adapter or enclosure
allowing the HDD to connect by USB.  Once a system is installed on the
spare drive and verified to be bootable, the drive can be installed in
the laptop. Keep the 2nd drive for when the primary drive fails.

Older desktop machines capable of running Linux are available at zero
or nominal cost.  For example, a  Dell Dimension 4600, with memory
recently maxed to 4 GB has no trouble running Debian 10. A desktop
system has flexibility lacking in a laptop.  Helpful for
troubleshooting.

> ... a big-bold default font like S3 could.

The Oberon subsystem in contemporary LinuxA2 is almost identical to
the official S3 Alpha.  Choices have only increased since S3 Alpha was
first released.  LinuxA2 and V4 can be available on one machine.

As with any endeavour, investments of time and resources are necessary
to reach an objective. The hardware investments we refer to here are
relatively small.

Regards,                                ... P.

--
Tel: +1 604 670 0140            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca