[Oberon] Ofront+

Stewart Greenhill stewart.greenhill at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 07:08:12 CET 2020

It is worth mentioning a few nice features of Oleg's system.

Ofront+ is based on ofront (by Josef Templ) and uses "C" as an intermediate
language for code generation.

1) Portability. Using a C compiler as the back-end allows code to be
compiled for a huge range of CPU architectures. Obviously Oberon easily
works on modern 32/64 bit machines such as x86 or ARM. Ofront+ also
supports 8-bit architectures (eg. Z80, 6502) found in vintage computers and
embedded systems. This design also makes it easy to cross-compile from one
architecture to another.

2) Optimisation. The C compiler back-end automatically gives you a huge
range of standard optimisations - efficient register allocation, constant
folding, code hoisting, common subexpression elimination, loop unrolling,
function inlining. If you need your Oberon code to be fast, there is no
better solution.

3) Foreign Code Interface. Most Oberon "Systems" tend to be self-contained,
but if you are interested in writing stand-alone programs for conventional
operating systems it is important to be able to use external software
libraries. To call code written C or some other language, you need a way to
declare foreign functions and data structures. In particular, the run-time
needs to know which pointers are to be traced and managed by the garbage
collector, and which pointers are unmanaged. This is done using system
flags which apply to records, pointers, and arrays. For function
declaration, Ofront+ includes the "code procedure" method from the original
ofront implementation, but also adds a more general "external procedure"
method, as found in Blackbox/Component Pascal.

To be honest, I was skeptical of the "code procedure" idea, which
essentially declares a typed macro that is expanded when the call is
compiled. These can be cumbersome to write, and in some cases must include
explicit type casts. Then I realised that this allows *blazingly fast*
maths operations using math.h/libm. In Ofront+ you can write the following,
which causes the math.h sin() function to be called when Math.sin is
invoked.

MODULE Math;    (* OMAKE LINK "m" *)
IMPORT C;
PROCEDURE -includeMath* "#include <math.h>";
PROCEDURE -sin*(x : C.double) : C.double "sin(x)";
PROCEDURE -cos*(x : C.double) : C.double "cos(x)";
..etc

There are rare cases where Math.sin might generate an external function
call, but usually this call is aggressively optimised by the back end, even
reducing to a single FSIN instruction. This is because the C compiler has
deep knowledge about "builtin" functions declared in math.h. For example,
if you need both Math.sin(x) and Math.cos(x) it will use the FSINCOS
instruction to compute them both simultaneously.

4) Multi Language. In the past I used both Oberon-2 and Component Pascal.
Returning to the Oberon world after some time, I was somewhat dismayed to
find yet more incompatible dialects have arisen. While I accept that there
are valid reasons for changing the language design, this is actually
terrible for the community. It fragments users and their software into
islands that cannot easily share code and experience, a modern Tower of
Babel. Ofront+ partially solves this problem by allowing a single project
to mix code from different Oberon dialects. This helps with code re-use,
but also takes some of the risk out of choosing a particular dialect.

Cheers,
  Stewart