[Oberon] [EXT] FPGA - Voltage Convertor

Skulski, Wojciech skulski at pas.rochester.edu
Fri Nov 27 18:13:24 CET 2020

Thomas:

Which FPGA?

The FPGAs come in three varieties. One is the bare chip with leads sticking out. You cannot connect wires to the leads, because in the best case they are tiny flimsy wires spaced 0.5 mm apart. In the most common case the leads are balls spaced 1 mm or 0.8 mm apart. Look at any data sheet, any brand to see the pictures. DigiKey shows photos of these chips. Bottom line: do not even think of soldering anything yourself to either leads or balls. It is not possible.

Second variety is the FPGA mounted on a PCB. It is called "a board". Any board will include the power supplies. Do not even think of taking the board apart and replacing the provided power supplies with your own. Why would you want to do this?

The last variety is when you are designing your own board. Are you going to start designing your own boards?  We need board designers in this community. Does your question indicate that you want to become one?

If this is the case then I suggest that you download the RiskZero design files if you prefer OrCAD, or Pepino design files, if you prefer Eagle, and start from there.

Thanks,
Wojtek