[Oberon] Re: Portability of Project Oberon

peter at easthope.ca peter at easthope.ca
Tue Dec 8 22:32:42 CET 2020

From:	"Skulski, Wojciech" <skulski at pas.rochester.edu>
Date:	Tue, 8 Dec 2020 17:13:05 +0000
> Who is going to do it? I can. Who is going to adopt this work, then?

To my limited knowledge, three possibilities.

(1) Create a revision control repository analogous to that for A2.
Benefit: revision control.
Cost: pay for a host or accept a hosting service.  Administer the repository.
Tradeoff: probably abandon the nice Oberon Text in favor of plain ASCII.
  It happened for A2.  =8~|  Keeping Text needs a whole new repository?

(2) Put your files in the Oberon book.  Similar to this.
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon/A2#Sources,_Tools_and_Configuration_Texts_in_A2
Benefit: convenience.  One click converts a file or list of files to Mediawiki text.
  Read sources conveniently with a browser.
Cost: just the time to click and upload.  Or send me the files for posting.
Tradeoff: no revision control.  Just be sure your files are perfect before posting.  =8~)
  Then never change them.  (Facetious humour of course.)

(3) Analogous to Extended Oberon, make a complete system release and
post it somewhere. Anyone interested in specific files can retrieve
the archive, extract and read to heart content.
Benefit: complete system.  No question of module compatibility.
  Nice Oberon Text is preserved.
Cost: assemble the complete working system, compress and post.
Tradeoff: reading sources requires the whole system.

If you will live until 2100 or beyond, build a dedicated Oberon
revision control system and apply (1).

If you are mortal use (2) and (3) in tandem.  Your advanced sources
are easily read via (2). Positive feedback might surface.  When your
system is ready for public consumption, (3).

Regards,                                         ... L.

--
Tel: +1 604 670 0140            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca